Monday, June 7, 2010

So, I know I mentioned in my earlier post that we had recently had our laundry room redone, but I wanted to elaborate on the process. For those of you who haven't seen it before we made the improvements, I've added some "before" pictures to help you appreciate the "after" ones a little more.


As you can see, it was about as bad as a room can get and an eyesore from the moment we saw it. From a popcorn ceiling with a patched up crawl space entry to flimsy wood paneling, this was clearly a do-it-yourself kind of renovation on the cheap. The vinyl flooring had been literally eaten by something (long before we moved in thankfully) and the wire shelving was ridiculously ugly and ineffective. The light fixtures were shiny brass and faux crystal, yet were probably the nicest thing in the room. Nearly five years ago when we bought the house, I assumed it would be the first room we tackled. But somehow, other rooms gained priority and the laundry room sat untouched for all of this time. Part of the rationale was that no one ever saw the laundry room. I mean, when you visit someone's house, how many times do you see their laundry room? The other argument was that for so long, it was the dog's room. Sadly, it contains dogs no longer and there was finally no legitimate excuse for its pitifully outdated state.

Now that we're on one income, renovations are pretty much a luxury, if not a far-off dream these days. So, I began scouring the internet and ended up entering three different laundry room makeover sweepstakes. Adam kindly humored me by videoing my pleas to "pimp my laundry room", but alas, they went unanswered. Fortunately, my hubby knew just the thing to make this gal feel loved on Mother's Day and that's how we ended up with this.....

It's nothing fancy, but it sure feels luxurious to me! I never thought I would enjoy doing laundry as much as I have over the last couple of weeks, but I swear I find myself making up excuses to go in there. I jump at the opportunity to iron a pair of moderately wrinkled shorts! I run to the dryer when it buzzes to begin folding the clothes. Strange, I know, but very, very satisfying. We should have done this years ago......